Thursday, February 28, 2008

Petits Pains au Sarrazin / Buckwheat Bread Rolls

I have a brand new bread machine that I can't use because the supposedly stainless steel baking pan in it has a non-stick coating...I refuse to use non-stick/teflon cookware and bakeware, because no matter how convenient and widely available it is, it's another of these popular things that are dangerous to your health.
Anyway, I'm getting better at making bread by hand (though I ordered an antique bread maker on ebay to help me kneed to dough) and simply baking it in the oven. The rolls are convenient because they seem to bake more homogeneously than a loaf but I will give it another try soon.

For my buckwheat rolls, I used:
  • 1 1/2 cup of organic all purpose flour (which happens to be made of wheat and barley)
  • 1 cup of buckwheat flour
  • 1 cup of lukewarm spring water (tap water is too dangerous to use around here)
  • 1/8 cup maple syrup (but 1/4 cup would have been a little bit more noticeable)
  • 1 teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt
  • 1 little pack of active dry yeast
You knead the dough 3 times. You let if proof 2 times for 30 to 45 minutes. The 3 time is shorter because it takes place while the oven is pre-heating at 450F. Cut the dough in 6 pieces and roll them. Place them on a greased baking sheet or on a piece of parchment paper and once in the oven, lower the temperature to 375F. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes...Et voila!

Buckwheat is gluten free, rich in protein, helps keep glucose levels in check and is good for circulation...Plus it has a pleasant nutty taste. It's a power grain ;)!

No comments:

CURRENT MOON

BlogCatalog

Small Business Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites