Monday, May 03, 2010

Mondays in the Kitchen: Tapenade de Haricots Verts / String Bean Tapenade

I'm always looking for good savory snack recipes that are also nutritious (this way I don't have to stuff myself with too many nuts and fruits). I'd love to have a fridge filled with spreads, chutneys and condiments of all sorts...But I'd need a fridge the size of the kitchen wall ;).

Today I opened "Légumes Bio ~ Mode d'Emploi" by Valérie Cupillard (which is basically "organic veggies 101": how to choose them, how to prepare them, what flavor combinations work well and of course...recipes). So I decided to try her "tapenade de haricots verts" which uses string beans, bulbous fennel, a white onion and umeboshi plum juice. I had no fennel and no ume juice...So I went with plan B which worked very well.

I steamed string beans with 2 small spring onions. Once cooled, I pureed the veggies with just enough water (usually I reuse the leftover water in the steamer) then I added some black olive paste/tapenade (which brings a certain depth to the puree), dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper and a splash of EVOO (everything to taste). I stirred everything well and spooned the tapenade into a glass jar. It is very good! It probably keeps for a few days in the fridge but I'm not sure it's gonna last that long...;).

No comments:

CURRENT MOON

BlogCatalog

Small Business Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites