Friday, June 05, 2009

Bonny Clabber

As I mentioned in a previous post, I made some Bonny Clabber.
Since it was my first attempt, I figured that I'd try with a small quantity of raw milk (2 cups).
I found some more info on how to make clabbered milk in "Full Moon Feast: Food and the Hunger for Connection" by Jessica Prentice, except that I didn't add any salt to mine.
It takes about 1 to 4 days for the milk solids to separate from the whey. I expected to obtain 1 cup of clabbered milk and 1 cup of whey, which was about right.
The milk started to separate last night but I wanted to wait until this morning to strain it.
Clabbered milk looks like soft, creamy cottage cheese (in the book, the author says that you can keep it for 7 days in the fridge). It is traditionally eaten with molasses and spices, since I don't like molasses (maybe it's a cultural thing, people don't use molasses in France), I'll try to honey or maple syrup instead.
I also kept the raw milk whey in the fridge for later use (I read somewhere that you can keep whey for 6 months; I doubt that 1 cup of whey will last me that long). I'm very interested in trying Beet Kvass, both with red and yellow beets...Maybe I'll try next week ;).

3 comments:

Jenny @ Nourished Kitchen said...

That's fantastic you made it! We're hoping to do some this week too. My son really, really likes it. I bet it would be good with maple syrup.

tiggertam said...

Can you tell me how it should taste? I made some and it smells awful! I'm separating the whey from it right now, but I'm not sure I want to keep the yogurt part of it...

Zenseer said...

Tiggertam, I agree about the smell but I do like the taste which is soured milk w/ maybe a touch of bitterness. It's somewhat between kefir and cottage cheese...

CURRENT MOON

BlogCatalog

Small Business Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites