Thursday, April 03, 2008

Result of the Nettle Kefir Experiment

Well, I'm pleased ;).
After 24 hours, I strained my infusion. The smell has changed.
The kefir grains turned brown. I rinsed them and put them back in their little jar.

The taste of the nettle kefir is very interesting: it's similar to an herbal wine. It's a little fizzy due to the fermentation, which produces a little bit of alcohol (the alcohol content of Kefir will vary from 0.06 % (Marshall 1984), up to a maximum of 3% alcohol. The average alcohol content in home brewing is around 0.5% with a loose lid and 1% in an airtight jar. Shaking the fermentation container during the fermentation time also results in higher alcohol content).

I have never tried kombucha tea but I believe it must be somewhat similar. I will experiment with some other herbs and maybe even juices.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am going to try this experiment with some extra grains I have, but I'm going to add peppermint to the mix.

CURRENT MOON

BlogCatalog

Small Business Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites