Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The Nettle Kefir Experiment

I recently bought some live kefir grains to make my own kefir with organic milk. I tried twice and didn't like neither the taste nor the smell of it. I read that you can also you these kefir grains with herbal infusions or fruit juices...So I figured that maybe I'd like my kefir better in an herbal base.

I prepared 2 cups of nourishing nettle infusion that had steeped for 4 hours. Once strained, I warmed the infusion lightly and added 1 tbsp of honey (I used raw mountain honey). I rinsed the kefir grains thoroughly with spring water, since I only used them twice they haven't had the time to get used to a dairy environment, therefore they shouldn't take long to adapt to the herbal infusion. Once clean and strained, I placed the kefir grains into a 1 quart mason jar then poured the sweetened nettle infusion over it. I closed the lid and gently shook the jar.

It should take 24 to 48 hours but it can take longer since I don't know how the kefir grains are going to react to this new environment. I will keep a close eye on the infusion, gently shaking the jar from time to time. I will have to smell and taste the infusion to know if and when it's ready to be strained and enjoyed.

I hope it'll taste better this way ;)!

No comments:

CURRENT MOON

BlogCatalog

Small Business Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites