Friday, August 03, 2007

Oyle of Rose

I've bought some rose infused oil before, handmade with fresh rose petals infused in (extra virgin) olive oil...Well I wasn't too impressed. I won't deny that the softening, soothing and healing qualities of the Rose weren't in the oil but the scent was so faint that I must have compensated with my imagination to smell the roses.

So I decided to give it a try, it took me 2 months but the result is pretty satisfying. I started on May 31st, on the Blue Moon. I filled a pint size glass jar with fresh rose petals from my very fragrant dwarf rose bush, then I added a few fresh rose geranium leaves (Attar of Rose variety) and a few fresh sprigs of rose thyme. I covered the herbs with a blend of organic extra virgin olive oil and sunflower oil (1 to 1 ratio). I closed the lid and left in on my porch, under the sun for 1 lunar month, shaking the jar from time to time.

On June 30th, at the Full Moon (this one was the Faerie Moon), I strained my oil and decided to reinfuse it. So I filled the same jar with pesticide-free dried rose petals, half pink and the other half red (rosa centifolia) and added a few fresh rose geranium leaves as well as a few sprigs of fresh rose thyme. I covered the herbs with the oil I strained before and left the jar in the sun for another lunar month.

The result was a pleasant lightly scented rose oil, with a velvety texture which leaves the skin soft and not greasy. With both solar and lunar influences...Plus when I use this oil, my husband says I'm glowing ;). Conclusion: if you wanna be a natural beauty queen, ask the Rose.

No comments:

CURRENT MOON

BlogCatalog

Small Business Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites