Wednesday, May 30, 2007

How to make a Honegar


Honegars are a variation of Apple Cider Vinegar tinctures. The nutritive aspect is as important or more than the healing aspect of these home remedies. They are fairly easy to prepare, especially if you're familiar with the art of tincturing "folk medicine" style ;).

I like to use dried plants rather than fresh ones: the reason is that you have a wider range of herbs to choose from and you don't depend on seasons or availability to prepare your tinctures. Yet I understand that the energy and potency given by fresh plant material can be greater if you harvest it yourself and at the right time of the year.

The recipe I'll give is for a 1 cup/8 fl oz container and using dry plant material (feel free to adapt the recipe to fresh herbs if needed). Pick an herb amongst the wide choice of nourishing herbs: the most commonly used are chickweed, dandelion, nettle and dock...Herbs and especially weeds are naturally rich in vitamins and minerals. I chose to tincture rosehips for my honegar. Rosehips are a natural source of vitamin C, combined with the minerals of the apple cider vinegar and the sweetness of the honey, it will be perfect.

In my 8 oz container, I put 1/8 cup of dried organic rosehips on which I poured 1/2 cup/4 fl oz of organic apple cider vinegar. Since vinegar corrodes metallic lids, I added a layer of plastic wrap in between. I will let my rosehips macerate in the vinegar for 1 month, after I'll strain the tincture and I'll add 1/2 cup of (raw) honey to it (you need 1 part herbal tincture to 1 part honey). Stir well and pour in a jar or a bottle. Store in a dark place (or in the fridge). Traditionally Apple Cider Tinctures can be kept for 1 year.

The basic dosage is 1 tablespoon of honegar for 8 oz of water, 1 to 3 times daily. It is delicious, full of nutrition and refreshing!

No comments:

CURRENT MOON

BlogCatalog

Small Business Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites