Thursday, January 07, 2010

Agave syrup: the good, the bad & the ugly

Like a lot of people I've been attracted to agave syrup because it's a natural and low GI sweetener. I've always found it a little too sweet and when I tasted it pure, it left a weird sensation in the back of my throat (a little like the tingling/burning sensation you get when having pure honey with a sore or irritated throat)...But I used it nonetheless, for baked goods mostly.

Then I learned that it wasn't liver friendly and with my history of hypoglycemia (and sensitive liver), I stopped using it right away.

Now I know that agave syrup is not raw (but highly refined), not natural, not traditional and...not even healthy! Just another sketchy "healthy" sweetener on the market...

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/

No comments:

CURRENT MOON

BlogCatalog

Small Business Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites