Monday, December 22, 2008

About Tincturing

Herbal teas and infusions have always been my favorite type of herbal medicine whether in a preventative or in a curative manner.
But since I've been experimenting (and having fun) with making scented tinctures for my incenses, I thought it was time for me to start making medicinal herbal tinctures as well. After all, life doesn't always allow you time for making tea or having the right herbs handy, especially when traveling.
I don't need large amounts and prefer using dried herbs. After consulting "Herbal Teas - 101 Nourishing Blends for Daily Health & Vitality" by Kathleen Brown (in which they also mention other forms of herbal medicine), I have calculated that for making 2oz of tincture, I needed about 1 tbsp of dried herbs. I'm well aware that these homemade tinctures won't probably have the same potency than commercial tinctures or ones made with fresh herb material...But I'm sure that they'll be just fine for my personal use (as well as family & friends) ;).
I already bottled an Elderberry & blossom tincture and just prepared a carminative/digestive blend of fennel & anise seeds.

No comments:

CURRENT MOON

BlogCatalog

Small Business Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites